Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Valentine's Day Nails


I thought I'd take the perfect opportunity with V-Day coming up to share a little tutorial with you.
This is the final look. It's a pink, red heart for a statement nail, topped off with glitter. Doesn't get better than that!
First, you'll need to collect several things. You'll need a base coat, a baby pink color of your choice (I'm using OPI Sparrow Me the Drama), and red of your coice (OPI Cajun Shrimp), either a silver or pink glitter (OPI I Lily Love You), and a top coat.

Base coat comes first, which protects your nails and also helps from chipping. Next, you'll paint two coats of your pink color.


I love this color because it's almost a dusty rose color, but any light pink will work here. It's totally up to you! So after you've painted two coats of your pink, you'll need to let it dry for quite a while before you try to draw the heart. It's important to let your nails dry so the pink layer doesn't get messed up trying to create the heart!

For the heart you'll need your red and an orange stick, or anything with a point. You can use a toothpick as well!
You'll put a drop of the red onto a piece of paper. Since I only did my ring fingers, this amount works well. If you do more than one nail you'll probably need more of the red.
You'll take the orange stick and dip it into the red, making sure you get a decent amount onto the stick. Make two dots in the middle of your nail and then use the orange stick and drag the stick through the red to make a point. You may need to work and shape it a little bit to make it look like a heart, but this is typically a foolproof way to make a heart.
After you connect the dots you should end up with a heart like this! So once you've made your hearts you'll also need to let them dry completely. If not, the red will smear into the pink when we put the glitter on top.
Now it's time for the glitter! OPI I Lily Love you is from the Spring Collection 2012 and it's actually not clear, but rather it's slightly pink. I love this glitter because there are also big chunks of iridescent pieces as well as the smalls bits of glitter. You'll want at least one coat of this, depending on your glitter preferences.
Once the glitter dries, you'll need a top coat. I used two layers of top coat to make it last longer.
And that's the final product! I tend to only make the hearts on my ring fingers just because I don't have the steadiest hand, but the hearts would look good on every nail as well. Let me know what you think! :)

xx Anna










No comments:

Post a Comment