Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Making Money by Blogging?

One of the things that fascinates me about the internet and social media is the fact that people are able to make a decent amount of money by blogging about really anything you could imagine. As someone who loves to write, and finds blogging as an interesting tool of expression, I'm becoming increasingly curious about what it takes to make money via blogs. Most people that blog have a specific interest, which is what makes them money. The problem I have is that I find multiple areas of life interesting. I am interested in all things beauty (which I feel like is one of the most blogged about topics), nail polish, cooking, reading, etc. While it is okay to blog about things that other people blog about, the important thing is to find a way to make what you have to say stand out.

I love writing on this particular blog to basically speak at random. I feel like this blog will be an outlet for me in the upcoming months before graduation and moving, but also a way to continue to share part of my life with family and friends that I will no longer see on a daily basis. I realize that it will take time to make any sort of money via google's adsense, but I'm curious to find out what it takes.

So here is my proposition:

I'm going to create two new blogs on two things that I think about, research, or use on an daily basis.
1. Coffee
and
2. Nail polish.

Clearly this is why I have to create two separate blogs....those two topics couldn't be farther apart. However, after researching a little about adsense, I have found that your topic has to be something that there is an ad for (and that could be profitable). Therefore, I feel like the "review" type blogs would be the most applicable to their requirements. I'm also creating two, because lets face it, I'm fairly random and feel like I would need two in order to steer clear of the "randomness" that people may not find appealing. I view this blog as a diary and will continue to use it for the purpose that is clearly stated in the title....however, I haven't started the semester yet so I haven't had anything to say about school.

Anyway. My goal is to see a few things: 1. How long does it take to make money using blogger and adsense? 2. What type of blogs are viewed as "ad-worthy"? 3. And can the review type blogs give me the platform I want in order to earn money?

I realize that getting traffic will be one of the starting points, which means I have to find similar blogs about nail polish and coffee, comment on those sites, and cross my fingers that it directs traffic to my site(s). I have a few ideas for beginning this game plan.

1. Write a few blogs reviewing products:
As far as coffee goes, I have a Keurig coffee maker. I think this opens the doors for plenty of things to write about, including the coffee maker itself, as well as all of the coffees I have tried, liked, and hated.
In regards to nail polish, I have so many different brands, colors, etc. that I think I could write a blog for quite a while. I also add new polishes to my collection about every month.

2. After writing a few blogs, reading others, and hopefully gaining traffic:
I feel like I will have to write blogs and gain more traffic in order to even try to get adsense to notice my page. This is what might take time. But, that is what I'm trying to figure out here: How long does it take to many money via blogger and adsense?

These are a few of the thoughts I have right now, but I have plenty I need to research so I think this is where I sign off. The good thing is that the worst thing that can happen is that I put my thoughts and reviews on products out there and I may not make anything off of it. However, my goal is to see how long it takes to make money....so we'll see how that goes.

xx Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment