Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2013

1st Week of School

I was absent from the blogosphere this week because I finally started back to school. It's hard to believe this is it. No worrying about next semesters schedule and trying to get requirements completed. This is it. It's strange to think about, especially when my youngest brother, Aaron, is a senior in high school just about to begin his college journey. I said to my parents the other day that we've always seemed far apart in age, which I guess technically we are (I'll be 22 in April and he'll turn 19 in July). It may not seem like that many years apart, but anyone with a younger or older sibling knows that 3 years is enough to give everyone separate interests. However, now that I'm about to graduate from college and he's about to start, we don't really seem all that far apart. We're also dealing with similar things in our relationships, being that his girlfriend attends college 3 hours away and he doesn't get to see her as often as he would like. I always remind him that I see my husband less often (which will all change once I graduate and we move!!), and he perks up realizing that he's actually lucky. Plus, cell phones and Skype make long-distance relationships easier than 100 years ago so we really can't complain. As I began my first week of school, I was actually excited. Normally I'm always anxious on the first day of school, that's just me....in fact, I can get anxious about anything (definitely a flaw of mine). I am lucky enough to have packed my schedule by having 4 classes on Monday, 5 on Wednesday, and 3 on Friday. Even luckier was me not having any classes on Tuesday or Thursday! My first class, Psychology 120, begins at 10am, but being a commuter means that I have to wake up earlier and leave earlier than I did when I lived in the dorms. I wake up at 7:30, giving myself plenty of time to shower and get ready, but also eat breakfast and actually feel awake and ready before heading to school. My alarm goes off at 7:30 and I make it a point to be in the shower by 7:40. For whatever reason, I was moving at snail speed that morning. The biggest reason I can think of is that I actually cut my thumb the Sunday before and having to try and keep my poor, bandaged thumb out of the stream of water makes showering a lot slower. It's not that easy trying to wash my hair with one hand, but I suppose it could be worse. My original thought behind waking up at 7:30 was to hopefully be completely ready by 8:30 because I typically take an hour to get ready from start to finish. However, I wasn't ready until 8:45 and I was planning to leave at 9:15. I hurried downstairs and tried to eat some breakfast, but I was slightly nervous about running late so I didn't exactly have an appetite. I brew my coffee from my lovely Keurig and decide to run outside and start my car (it was FREEZING that morning) while I waited on my coffee. I get outside and I can't my door open. I tell myself not to panic and try the other doors. Nothing. I run back inside, try and find the de-icing spray and silently pray that it will help. I douse my car in the spray, but still nothing. I'm about to full-on panic at this point, but I run back inside and take a few gulps of coffee. My only hope at this point is to wake up my other brother and hope that he can get my car open. Luckily for me, he was half awake. He comes out to try and help me, but he can't get any of my doors open either. Now I'm really freaking out. He tells me he's going to try to get his doors open, but he has no luck either. At this point, it's almost 9:10. The purpose of me leaving by 9:15 was to actually be able to get a parking spot, which is becoming impossible at Uindy. So at this point my only hope is to call my grandma because both of my parents are working. I call her and she had just gotten out of her bath and her exact response to taking me (and saying that my class started in 45 minutes) was "Oh, shit". That was wonderfully reassuring to hear from my 73 year old grandmother. Literally as I hang up, my brother yelled that he was able to get one of his doors open. I called my grandma back and told her I didn't need her to come get me, and my brother and I were actually able to leave by 9:15. Then, of course, someone had to come get me at 5:20 when I was done with school. It instantly brought me back to being 15 and relying on someone else to pick me up or take me somewhere. That was just my Monday morning. Actually, that was just about 15 minutes of my morning. My classes were fine, but I kind of realized that this semester wouldn't be easy. I can't actually recall a semester that I thought was "easy", but I was hoping this would be it. Nothing particularly interesting happened the rest of the week, which I suppose is a good thing considering all the excitement on Monday. Until next time, xx Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment